Sunday, March 30, 2008

Broccoli Cheese Soup

Just when I thought the cold winter days were over, I woke up this morning to find snow covering everything in sight. Makes me want to stay home and make some delicious broccoli cheese soup!


Ingredients:
1 ½ lbs fresh broccoli or 2 10 oz. packages frozen chopped broccoli
6 Tb. margarine
½ c. chopped onion
6 Tb. flour
2 c. chicken broth (or 2 c. water and 2 Tb. chicken base)
2 c. light cream or 2 c. half and half for low cal version
1 tsp. salt
¼ tsp. nutmeg
1 c. grated Cheddar cheese

Wash and chop broccoli. Peel and chop stem ends also. Cook in a small amount of water until tender. Meanwhile, melt margarine in heavy saucepan, add onion and cook until clear and starting to brown. Stir in flour to make a roux. Slowly add broth and cream or half and half. Stir and cook over medium heat until thickened. Add salt, nutmeg and cooked broccoli, can also add cooking water if not too much. Just before serving, stir in cheese. Makes 6- 8 servings
*Note: I omit the nutmeg. And I always double this recipe!

1 comments:

So Many M's said...

I love this soup but don't have a good recipe for it, Randy is going to be soo excited.